Varicose veins can lead to several problems in your day-to-day activities. They cause a lot of pain and discomfort and can sometimes lead to severe problems. Varicose veins usually affect the veins that run in the legs. Well, the good part is many advanced treatment options are available for varicose veins. You can check the varicose veins laser treatment cost India with the help of credihealth. Let us see in this article on Can varicose veins cause blood clots.
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged and twisted veins that usually occur in the legs due to walking and standing, which puts pressure on the veins of the lower part of the body. You can experience some pain in that area along with other symptoms.
Symptoms of varicose veins
There are different signs and symptoms of varicose veins. Some of them include
- Leg pain
- Heavy feeling in the leg
- Burning sensation in the leg
- Cramps in the leg
- Swelling of the lower leg
- Itching near the affected vein
- Change in the color of the skin around the vein
Can varicose veins cause blood clots?
You must be thinking that varicose veins might cause some pain and will automatically disappear. But there are other problems associated with it.
There is a slight chance that the varicose veins can cause blood clots in the site where it has occurred.
In superficial varicose veins, there are fewer chances of getting a blood clot. In the case of severe varicose veins, the chances of forming blood clots in the veins increase.
Formation of clots is hazardous as these clots can travel in the body and cause other serious complications.
If you feel like you have a clot in the affected area, you should immediately visit a doctor.
How to know if you have a blood clot in the varicose vein?
Varicose veins can increase the chances of developing blood clots at the site. You can check on your own if you have a lump in the affected area if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- You are unable to move the part of your body.
- You have a burning sensation along with the varicose vein
- Inflammation of the affected area
- Feeling of Nausea
If you have any of the following symptoms, visit a doctor as soon as possible.
Are blood clots in varicose veins dangerous?
Blood clots at any place where they are not required are considered very dangerous for your body. Different types of blood clots form in varicose veins.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis occurs deep in the body’s veins. If it gets attached and fixed to a body surface, it can block blood flow to organs and cause serious problems.
- Pulmonary Embolisms are the clots that form in the legs, but they travel to the lungs, where they get attached and prevent blood circulation to the lungs.
- Superficial blood clots occur under the skin and damage the blood vessels in varicose veins.
You need to consult the doctor to find out what type of clot you have and how to get rid of it.
What other complications are caused by varicose veins?
Varicose veins can cause many other complications, preventing blood from flowing smoothly. The other complications include
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Skin changes usually hardening of the skin
What treatments are available for blood clots caused by varicose veins
When you visit a doctor, the doctor will diagnose you with a physical exam and ask you to explain how the pain is and how severe it is.
Depending on the diagnosis, the treatments available can include the following.
- Your doctor can ask you to apply heat to the affected area and consume NSAIDs.
- Your doctor may also ask you to take blood-thinning medications and also can ask you to inject anticoagulants which can relieve the blood clots that are formed.
- Doctors may also recommend Clot-dissolving medications for the treatment of blood clots that are formed by varicose veins.
- Compression stockings are another treatment option that can help prevent swelling and other blood clot complications.
- Varicose vein stripping is the procedure in which the doctor removes the varicose vein which causes pain.
Home remedies for the treatment include lifestyle changes and self-care measures like using a warm cloth to apply heat, eating healthy, keeping your leg raised while you sit down, etc.
Varicose veins occur due to the bending and twisting of the veins in the lower leg. Due to the weakening and damage caused to the blood vessel, there are chances of blood clots appearing in the portion. These blood clots usually get resolved on their own without any medications. However, blood thinners, clot dissolvers, and other surgical or home remedies are used if the clot is serious and not dissolving naturally. You can also check the Varicose veins laser treatment cost India at the Credihealth website and book an appointment using the same.