To get rid of smelly armpits is the wish to fulfill for many people. It creates self-consciousness and causes problems for people to deal with each other. Smelly armpits are commonly known as body odor (BO), and technically called bromhidrosis, malodorous armpits, are not the major cause of concern for many people. In general, it is the kind of condition about which people do not like to think. But, it becomes important when you are likely to attend any important occasion. You can take steps to get rid of smelly armpits like you can use some masks, any kind of smell removing cream, deodorant, and soaps. However, the major problem with smelly armpits is that they can increase your anxiety when you come in contact with any unknown person. If you are going through symptoms of BO, you can consult the experts of KIMS Hospital Secunderabad.
What causes smelly armpits?
The human body possesses the tendency to reduce water and waste in the form of sweat. Your body is covered with sweat glands. Because sweating is an essential body function, it can help to cool down the body to a great extent.
There are two main kinds of sweat glands: eccrine and apocrine:
- Eccrine glands: These glands cover much of your body parts and are available on your skin directly, where they open and release sweat.
- Apocrine glands: These types of glands occur in the area where there are a lot of hair follicles like the armpit or groin. Instead of opening directly on the skin, these glands empty into the hair follicles and then open up to the surface.
When the body gets enough heat, it releases sweat through eccrine glands. These glands and this type of sweat are typically odorless until bacteria hits the surface of your body and breaks it down. Certain food, drinks, medications, and habitat can help to reduce sweat from eccrine glands and give off the odor.
Apocrine glands are the type of glands that open up when you are under stress. In general, they secret odorless fluid, which later develops odor after coming in contact with bacteria and germs. These glands don’t work until you attain puberty, and it is at this age that people usually start noticing body odor.
- Sweat is a normal body function but certain people release sweat more than usual. This condition is known as hyperhidrosis.
- This condition causes people to release sweat excessively, especially in their hands, armpits, feet, and fingers.
- If your doctor thinks that it can be the case with you, you may require to go through certain diagnosing tests.
How to get rid of smelly armpits?
The ways to manage the smelly armpits depend on the severity of the medical condition and the causes that affect the body odor. The odor may develop because of certain unhygienic activities and not using the right product. These conditions can lead to medically diagnosed conditions that may also develop a prone place for acne.
Try to choose the right deodorant for you
Finding the right deodorant can be irritating and frustrating at the same time. However, it is the only option that can work for you. It is better to try the deodorants until it suits your skin and stops sweating or odor. Deodorants work with biochemicals and help you fight daily demands. Try to pay attention to the right choice or the type of ingredients it has. If a deodorant consists of baking soda, lemon, or a combination of certain things which is irritating your skin, do not compromise on your choices. It is better to skip the same.
Proper cleaning can help you fight BO. If you are prone to acne and other medical conditions because of smelly armpits, it is better to use breathable clothes. You can also wash the armpits regularly at certain hours. You can choose to wear a different choice of clothes. Try not to overdress and tend to wash the surface regularly. Also, do not wear clothes for more than 24 hours of the day. It can spread germs and bacteria and can cause you illness.
Take complete care of hygiene behind the smelly armpits
You can use over-the-counter antiperspirants and deodorants or a combination of both. With a daily shower and daily care, you can get rid of smelly armpits. But, it may require your regularity to do so. In the first place, you can try different things to see which works better for you. Antiperspirants help to reduce the amount of sweat by blocking the pores temporarily. This results in less odor, but it is effective only for 2-4 hours. On the other hand, deodorants stop the smell but do not work on the sweat itself. These are alcohol-based products that make the skin acidic. This can help to prevent the formation of triggering bacteria to grow on the skin.
What to do when hyperhidrosis is the cause of armpit body odor?
If over-the-counter deodorants are not effective on your skin and odor, try to talk to your doctor. They may prescribe you prescription-strengthening deodorants and botox injections. You may be familiar with botox medications. It is generally used to prevent wrinkles and smoothen the skin. But, it possesses many other applications. A botox injection can help you decrease sweating and odor. It is one of the common botox treatments. However, you must understand here that botox is not a permanent solution. The botox injections may last for a few months. So, you may be required to repeat the procedure from the start.
- These hacks may work for you (however for a short duration), but they will surely clean your pores and armpits.
- It is better to try some bathroom work here. You can have a frequent wash of the surface and can use soap that soothes your skin.
- Try to use a paper towel or a separate towel for yourself.
What are certain home based remedies for smelly armpits?
To get rid of smelly armpits, you can take the following measures. These measures will help you prevent the odor. With regular usage, these may help you get rid of body odor permanently.
- Try to take a long shower with soap. Regularly shower after strenuous activities like running, playing sports, and working out in the gym. Showering will help you get rid of the smell and will soothe your skin. However, you must keep your skin hydrated and moisturized.
- Try to wear loose-fitting clothes. Wear fabric that is breathable like cotton, linen, and synthetic blends. These clothes will help you stay cool and will restrict your sweating.
- Try to regularly shave and wax your armpits. Keep your armpits clean and free from bacteria. This will help you prevent smell for at least a few weeks.
- Work on your stress. Many times we try to think in our minds. This makes our body react by releasing sweat. This can lead to anxiety or depression. However, if you want to get rid of the odor in your armpits, you must first try to work on your anxiety-causing techniques.
If you have used many hacks and nothing is working for you, talk to your doctor. This can help you prevent future diseases. It is better to stay strong and have the recommendation of your doctor. Also, try to discuss the things you have used in the past. This will help your doctor to check the reactions of your body.