Once your baby starts learning to walk, buying proper footwear is crucial for much-needed protection, comfort, and balance. No matter if you are buying Booties for your Baby Girl or baby boy, there are some things that you need to consider.
What You Need to Know Before Shopping Shoes or Booties for Your Baby
- Since your baby is learning to walk or has recently learned to walk, their feet are too soft to walk with a hard sole. Thus, you need to buy shoes or booties that are made of soft and lightweight materials. If your floors are slippery, then choose soles with rubber grips.
- Ensure that booties are long and wide enough with some room to grow. The toes shouldn’t hit the front of the booties or shoes.
- As comfort is of paramount importance, ensure that the footwear fits well. Tripping and limping are signs of discomfort. If you see your baby doing so, buy another pair of booties with perfect fitting.
- Baby feet sweat a lot. So, buy booties/shoes that are made of breathable materials.
- Remember that your baby is in a growing phase. So, you should buy new footwear every two to four months.
What You Should Know as a Parent When Your Baby Starts to Wear Footwear
- Once your baby starts to walk properly, give them pull toys to add a new dimension to their fun.
- Say No to Hand-Me-Down Footwear. Footwear – whether they are booties, shoes, or flip-flops – fit every child differently and mold to the feet of the child who wears them. So, don’t give your baby used footwear as it could harm your baby’s feet.
- Never rush with your child’s development process. Wait until your baby learns to stand, walk, and make proper balance before buying their shoes. Hard-soled footwear is a big No-No until your baby is at least 15 months of age or older. Make sure that the baby is fully comfortable walking barefoot first.
- If necessary, your baby can have hard-soled shoes for a limited amount of time, for instance, in areas with gravel or mulch, where your baby’s soft feet need extra protection.
- Let your baby walk bare feet as often as possible because once your baby starts walking, there is nothing better for their feet than the full range of motion. Flexibility is critical for them to develop a healthy arch.
- In situations where it is not socially appropriate or unsafe to let your baby walk bare feet, choose footwear with some room.
- In case your baby is months away from even attempting the first steps and you want to buy beautiful booties for your baby girl or baby boy, you can put booties on your baby’s feet given that they are the right size and your baby is not minding wearing them. As long as their feet are dangling in booties rather than making the balance or bearing weight in them, shoes/booties for infants are a harmless fashion statement.
I hope this guide for buying shoes/booties for your baby has helped you a lot in gathering important information that you as a new parent must be aware of.